Friday 13 September 2019

The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat by Brooke Bolander - A Short Story Review

Uncanny Magazine July/August 2018
It’s been a while since I’ve ready some short stories and I wanted some kind of direction.  I turned to the Hugo Awards for that.  I decided the 2019 short list would make for an excellent anthology of sorts.

I started from the bottom of the short story list and I plan to work my way up to the winner.

The story was funny, menacing and a perfect twist on the damsel in distress trope.  The Princess Bride came to my mind, but with dinosaurs and that worked very well for me.

One day the Prince from a nearby kingdom wanders by and is nearly eaten.  Through strange circumstances he manages to bring one of the raptor sisters into his realm and tries to make her the Royal Mount to replace the horse he rode in on.

But the Raptor Sisters and the Princess have other ideas.

It is no wonder this story was short-listed; it was fresh, original and had a rollicking good time flipping genres on their sides.

Brooke Bolander’s website - http://brookebolander.com/

Uncanny Magazine - https://uncannymagazine.com/

Brooke Bolander

No comments: