Wednesday 18 September 2019

The Court Magician by Sarah Pinsker - A Short Story Review

One can make a case that Fantasy is just the opposite side of the coin where Science Fiction resides.  Technology can be substituted by magic, starships by dragons.

I prefer to imagine my world forward because I am curious.  I want to know what is around the next bend.  When you look far enough back, history becomes legend.  Somehow I don’t find that as satisfying.

This is a fantasy story.  

A young boy is noticed then groomed to become the next court magician.  He is overseen by - a ghost - I guess, but certainly his predecessor.

The child learns everything he is taught and is disappointed that most of the magic he has seen can be explained as slight of hand.  The more he learns the closer he gets to real magic.  Real magic exists but at a cost to the magician.

How much of that cost can the young man bear?

It was a well written story and a good one to boot.  It’s just not the kind of story I am drawn to.

I just wish the Hugos would split the Fantasy from the Science Fiction.  This is something Lightspeed Magazine identifies and I appreciate it very much.

Sarah Pinsker’s website - http://sarahpinsker.com/

Lightspeed Magazine - https://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/

Sarah Pinsker

No comments: