Monday 30 September 2019

Battle for the West by Daniel Francis - Book Report #284

Fur Traders and the Birth
of Western Canada

A long time ago the Edmonton Public Library had something called the Heritage Collection.  It was a cache of books (over 10,000 of them) that could only be read in the downtown branch, they could not be borrowed and taken home.

A few years back this policy was relaxed.  This allowed me to enjoy Daniel Francis' 1982 book about the fur trade of early Canada.

I found it to be illuminating, entertaining and filled with facts about the competition between the Hudson's Bay Company and the North West Company.  Funny, how I always imagined the Voyageurs were exclusive to the HBC - how wrong I was.  At least until they merged in 1821.

I found the subject matter completely engrossing and Francis' text crisp and readable as if it was published today.  This says a lot about his writing style and clarity.

Thank you, EPL for lending this book to me.

Daniel Francis' website - https://www.danielfrancis.ca/

Daniel Francis

No comments: