Saturday 5 January 2019

Spider-Man Noir by David Hine with Fabrice Sapolsky - A Graphic Novel Review

I blew the dust off my copy of Spider-Man Noir before going to see the movie Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

Ten years ago I was enjoying the look and tropes of the 1930’s pulp fiction.  Marvel put out a series of Noir books that seemed to lend themselves well to the period.

What they did with Spider-Man was clever in how it was adapted for the 1930's.

I must say,  this is not your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man.  Oh no, he is very much a deadly vigilante.

I liked this book very much, from the design of the costume to the nod to that other "Spider" who occupied pulp fiction at the time and to the dark tone of the story.

If you're looking for something different, but still familiar you might want to chase this book down.

I was impressed at how Marvel was unafraid to challenge the cannon of this iconic character.

Well done!

Thwip!

David Hine - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hine

Fabrice Sapolsky - https://fabricesapolsky.com/



No comments: