Monday 21 January 2019

A Newfoundlander in Canada by Alan Doyle - Book Report #254

My goodness do I love me some Alan Doyle.

The man is an inspiration with his positive outlook on life.

Reading this book was a charming exploration of Canada recounted through his younger self on his first coast-to-coast tour with Great Big Sea.

His impressions of each province made for a nice structure for the book.  I especially liked how he was able to understand how each place differed from his home and to see how it all fits together to make a country.  Canada is not a homogeneous country but a collection of regions who's character is determined not just by the people but by the land and weather as well.

Doyle also gives us a glimpse into the life of a touring band.  It's not an easy existence being confined to a beat-up van driving for countless hours on empty highways.  It is a real test of friendships to be cooped up for so long.

I came away from reading this book wanting more.

I certainly hope that Doyle keeps writing, there is something warm about his voice that I find attractive.

Recommended.  Highly.

Alan Doyle's website - http://alandoyle.ca/

Alan doyle

No comments: