Monday 28 January 2019

Extreme Frontiers: Racing Across Canada by Charley Boorman - Book Report #255

Being Canadian it’s always interesting to get a foreign perspective on my home.

I was happy to read that the people Boorman met along the way were open, helpful and friendly. 

From region to region he tried to participate in activities that reflect the land, history and people. 

To be honest, I found the narrative a bit clunky during the first third but that was just me adjusting to his voice.  Once I got comfortable with his writing style I found myself smiling and engaging with the book.  I was reading it at every opportunity and tore through it rather quickly.

Honestly, the bit where he was mountain climbing in the Rockies made my heart race.  There were some scary parts of that climb where I was glad it was him doing it and not me.

It’s a rare occurrence to be sad that you are reaching the end of a book, which is a real compliment to Boorman. I wish he would have taken a dip in the Pacific, turned around and rode all the way back again.

I was happy to see he has many more books to his credit and I am looking forward to reading them.  However, I have both The Long Way Round and The Long Way Down which I haven’t read yet.  Having seen both adventures on DVD, I’m sure there will be some interesting perspectives in them.  It’s good to know I still have some Charley Boorman to read.

This is a comfortable read where, by the end, you will feel like you’ve met a charming, honest and good man.  That is excellent company to keep.

Charley Boorman’s website - http://www.charleyboorman.com/

Charley Boorman

No comments: