Sunday 11 November 2018

The Right's Tough by Robert J Sawyer

This was an odd little story with a terrific premise.

What if you are a crew of astronauts on a 150-year mission to a nearby star?  When you finally make it back from the journey everything, and I mean everything, has changed?  How do you cope?

The only trouble I had with the story is that the focus of the story was not primarily on the crew but on two residents of Washington DC who cross paths with some of the astronauts.

I don't know, it just didn't gel for me.  I can't put my finger on it but somehow it lost focus making the ending strange.  It made perfect sense to conclude the story the way it did but coming to that ending was done in the background and felt a bit odd.

It was a rare instance where a story in this collection did not work for me.  But that's the way it goes, right?

Robert J Sawyer's website - https://www.sfwriter.com/


No comments: