Monday 12 November 2018

Binti by Nnedi Okorafor - Book Report #248

Lovely.  Different. Scary. Inspiring.

Binti is a young woman who decides to leave everything behind; her family, her home, her life and her planet, to attend Oomza University in a far off solar system.

Along the way she makes friends and discovers the hatred and violence of the Meduse, an alien race in conflict with her very university.

This is the kind of SF I generally don't go for, with aliens and magical super-powers.  I like to read Mundane, Hard SF.

But there is something special about the fish out of water story; I always find myself hoping the best for our character.

Binti is a terrific character too.  She is so strong and determined and yet she suffers the self-doubt we all do.

It is through this character that I was willing to put my biases aside and read on.  I am glad that I did.  It was a rewarding story and I have ordered the next installment in the series.  I am looking forward to spending more time in Nnedi Okorafor's capable hands.

Recommended.

Nnedi Olorafor's website - http://nnedi.com/

Nnedi Okorafor

No comments: