Wednesday 21 November 2018

Flashes by Robert J Sawyer

Oh my!  I was struck by this one.

Good science fiction tries to tackle the big What If? questions.  And this one certainly did.

What if there is intelligent life "out there?"  What if they contact us?  What if they share everything they know with us?

There are many times in life where I wish somebody would just give us the answer to cancer or cold fusion so we can get on with our lives.

But for everything there is a cost or a consequence and here Sawyer explores some of the negatives of reading the Encyclopedia Galactica.

Chilling and yet, thank goodness, Sawyer still managed to add his indelible optimism into a short sentence.  Or maybe that was me.  Maybe I was simply projecting some hope into the story.

In any case it was a good read and allowed me to consider the ramifications of knowledge gained without earning it.



No comments: