Monday 16 December 2019

How To Be Good by Nick Hornby - Book Reveiw #294


Being married for as long as I have, there were certain observations that struck home in uncomfortable ways.  There is so much written about new love, and finding the "right" person, but it is harder to find stories about the long-married and still struggling with life.

Being in my mid-50's colours the statement above, but it's true that life just keeps going on.  The goal is to find the right person, but after you've done that and you are years down the road, what does that look like?

Katie and David are going through a rough patch and it gets a bit out of hand as only Nick Hornby can manage to tell the story.  There was humor but there was also a depth of insight that immediately captured me.

Katie has had an affair and asks for a divorce.  David's reaction is understandable but then he begins a transformation that is eyebrow-raising, suspicious and unpredictable.  I was turning pages wondering what new, outrageous thing David was going to do next.  It was fun to read.

I've been a fan of Hornby's for years but only through the movies that have been adapted from his books.  This is the first novel that I've read and I can say that I am looking forward to reading the source material of all those movies I love so much.

Being a genre reader, I now think of Hornby as my gateway author to literary fiction.

Nick Hornby's website - https://www.nickhornbyofficial.com/

Nick Hornby

No comments: