Monday 21 October 2019

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut - Book Report #288

A legendary classic of science fiction.

I was blown away by it.  It was nothing like I expected and I felt that I was truly in the hands of a genius and I was grateful for it.

The narrative bounces all over the timeline of the story but once I got used to it I loved it an enjoyed every jump forwards or backwards

Is it Science Fiction?  Sure.  Kind of.  It explores World War II, the bombing of Dresden, Germany and death.  Boy, does it explore death.

Slaughterhouse Five helped me to understand that death is just part of life.  And, wonderfully, because the Tralfamadorians do not experience time the way humans do, death really isn’t all that bad.  It is comforting to think and see things their way.  I was happy for the experience.

I am also happy that I chose to listen to the audiobook.  It was read by Ethan Hawke who did a  terrific job and gave the story a voice I would not have.  His inflections and emotion gave the book such depth.

I highly recommend the book.  Buy it any way you like, secondhand or new, you will want to keep it on the shelf to share and talk about.

Kurt Vonnegut’s Wiki Page - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut

No comments: