Saturday 8 December 2018

Hit 1955 by Bryce Carlson and Vanesa R. Del Rey - A Graphic Novel Review

Oh, this is very well done!

The story is a well-travelled trope - corrupt cops working for a corrupt captain.  You just know that things will unravel in a brutal way.

Bryce Carlson's writing shines like the glint of a bullet casing.  Oh my, can he deliver cold, hard lines.

"Do you know what I told Ken Collins right before I pulled the trigger?"
"Nothing."

Yikes!

In the bonus short story, Bonnie, there is a moment where Carlson describes how she tried to cover up the bruises on her face.


"... there was only so much foundation and powder could do.  They could cover up something small, but they couldn't hide the truth."

This kind of writing makes me an instant fan.

The art was moody and captured the aesthetic of the times.  Vanesa R Del Rey has a style that lends itself to the noir sensibilities.  Her use of odd angles and deep shadows worked perfectly with the story. 

Del Rey's art reminded me of Darwyn Cooke's work on the Parker series. 

I cannot recommend this title enough.  I was sucked right into the story and I found myself lingering over the pages soaking up the crisp writing and the lush art.

I Loved it.

No comments: