Wednesday 26 September 2018

In Panic Town, On The Backward Moon by Michael F Flynn

Talk about the look and feel of a space western.

The story starts in a saloon, where a stranger walks in, and leaves something valuable with the owner of the establishment. 

This is the kind of SF I love; high tech, set in the future but still populated by recognizable people.

The object stored in the saloon's safe was stolen and the person who stole it has made enemies all over Mars.  Now he is dead and the object is gone.

In my mind's eye I could see all the dust, grit and roughness of life on Mars.

Flynn was able to create a giant backdrop in few pages.  Once I was done reading the setting lived on in my head.  The world he created was so rich, I felt as though I had read a novel.

Terrific stuff.


No comments: