Monday 16 April 2018

Fast Food Genocide by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. - Book Report #225

This was a fascinating exploration of the modern diet, it's effects on our bodies and on our society.

Dr. Fuhrman explains that the phenomenon of fast food and highly processed foods are really a product from the end of World War II.  It was the military that encouraged and funded the push to create shelf-stable, packaged foods so they could feed the troops.

With that newly created technology the food we ate was forever changed and our way of life along with it.  Convenience foods, by their very nature, has kept us from thinking about what we are eating.

The medical community has been focused on drugs to treat the symptoms instead of superior diet to prevent the conditions.

The good news is that all the healthy alternatives are pretty easy to come by.

In my experience, to eat healthy, you really have to work at it.  It's not just about reading labels, which is a good first step, but you have to cook your own food.  That's the bottom line - you are going to spend a lot of time in front of a cutting board.  Get yourself some good knives because they are essential for making the journey from opening a package to preparing food from scratch.

All that work is worth it though.  I have lost 25 pounds, my cholesterol is now normal and my blood pressure has also come down.  I feel better and have more energy at the end of the day.

In the book Dr. Fuhrman explains how and why our cities are built the way they are and the political influence the large food manufacturers, cattle associations, dairy boards and fertilizer companies have.  This all plays against us in facilitating a change in diet.  Nobody is evil in this, but the evidence is growing that proves the "frankenfoods" described are killing us slowly.

Instead of finding this all depressing, which it is, it has served to light a fire in my wish to improve my health by making the effort to improve what I put in my shopping cart.  When I put my weekly shopping on the belt, at the checkout, I am impressed by how much of it is alive and green.  I look back to how I used to shop, even five years ago, and the experience is completely different.

Books like this one can change lives.

Highly recommended.

Dr. Fuhrman's website is:  https://www.drfuhrman.com/

Joel Fuhrman, MD

No comments: