Monday 2 October 2017

Canadians by Roy MacGregor - Book Report #202

This is not an easy book to describe, it is part Canadian history, part sociology and part personal reflection.

The thrust of the book is to try and define the elusive Canadian Identity.  We are trying to find a way to identify ourselves without using the pat answer of; "Well, we are not American."

This was a perfect book to read in this 150th year of Canadian Confederation.  Although we are still struggling to include our First Nations in meaningful and respectful ways, it is still well worth taking the time to look back and try to make sense of this country.

This became a touchstone book for me personally.  It awoke a desire to learn more about my country.  I feel that I've been a rather lousy Canadian by not taking the time to learn about our history.

From MacGregor's work I was lead to many authors and events, both recent and in the distant past that I wish to learn about.

In the intervening eight years since the book was published and with the massive effort of the Canada 150 department I think we've been able to at least find images that spark an answer to the question: "What is a Canadian?"

I've already purchased his more recent book Canoe Country which is another exploration of Canada this time through the history of the canoe and the great rivers of our country.  I am looking forward to settling back into this one.  I am sure it will lead me to other discoveries.

Roy MacGregor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_MacGregor

Roy MacGregor

No comments: