Monday 9 October 2017

Sailing Alone Around the World by Captain Joshua Slocum - Book Report #203


I really did not know what to expect from this century-old story.

Sometimes I go on binges at the library, exploring titles and adding them to my "for later" list, I've got over 700 on it.

I decided to go back to the first entry, in audio books, to see what was there.

What a lovely story!  Captain Slocum was a terrific writer with a knack for wit and observation.  I was taken first by the audacity of the trip - around the world in a sailboat, alone!  I was also very taken by the generosity of the community of sailors, folks of power at port, the helpfulness he found along the way and his undying optimism.

I was completely taken in by this story.  His trip around Cape Horn was one of the most thrilling of adventures, and that was only a part of the journey in total.  But Cape Horn stands out in this trip.

I highly recommend this book.

Since I enjoyed it as an audiobook I will be seeking out a paper copy to add to my shelves.

If you enjoy travel or books of adventure, this is a must read.

Captain J Slocum onboard the Spray


No comments: