Monday 9 June 2014

Book Report #94 - Star Trek: The Covenant of the Crown by Howard Weinstein

Book 18 of 52
Page Count - 191

Published in 1981, after the events of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) we find Kirk, McCoy and Spok trying to end a civil war by restoring a monarchy.  The Klingons would rather the war go on giving them the chance to annex the planet.

This story held up very well, given the book is 33 years old.  The characterization was spot-on and I was happily swept away in the story.  There were some minor flaws that I found disappointing, such as how the Klingon threat was treated but otherwise I was glad every time I picked up the book.

For me, I prefer stories that take place on board ship with all the trappings of shipboard life; this book spent most of its time on the surface of a rather primitive planet.  That said, it felt like a lost episode of TOS, and could easily have been shot as one, had the series continued.

This is #4 of the Pocket Book series.

Well worth finding it in a used book store.

Howard Weinstein

2 comments:

Martin L. Shoemaker said...

I find it fascinating how you review any book that catches your attention, not just whatever is new or trendy. And your tastes range across genres. When I see your email come in, I can never guess what you've been reading this week.

Eric The Mailman said...

Thanks Martin. Glad to hear you still subscribe to the blog. I do it to keep track of what I read and if it helps or entertains others then that is a pretty nice bonus.

BTW isn't your story to be published in Analog soon?

Please let me know when it does. Looking forward to reading it.