Saturday 17 May 2014

Plastic Soldiers by W. D. County - A short story review

Oh, yuck!

This was a chilling and disturbing story involving child abduction and sexual abuse.

As repulsive the subject is, and I can tell you, I very nearly stopped reading it, the author chose to write the story in the first person, from the point of view of one of the abducted boys, so I kept with it. County never exploited the horror, nor did he go into any gritty details.  He leaves it up to the readers' imagination, which was a very savvy and professional way to tell this story.

Be warned, if your squeamish this may be a difficult read.

That said, it was very well written.

I also believe County is doing readers a service by bringing the horror of this kind of crime to light.  Whenever I hear of child abuse in the news I can touch this story and think, "I'm glad they caught the bastard!"  This is not the kind of story I seek, I don't like being that close this kind of crime but I do feel that I'm better off for reading it.

I still want to take a shower. Yuck!

The author's website is HERE.

W. D. County

No comments: