Friday 10 February 2012

Book Report #38 - San Francisco's Powell Street Cable Cars

Images of Rail
By
Emiliano Echeverria and Walter Rice

In preparation for my trip to San Francisco I bought this book for some insight into the famous cable cars.

The book itself is dedicated mostly to archival photos with lots of informative captions. What narrative there is in the book is used mostly to explain the differing eras of the system.

I had no idea their history would be so colourful. The system was always under threat of closure; it was first saved by the citizens of SF in a 1947 vote; then the system itself was designated a national historic landmark in January, 1964. From 1982 to 1984 the entire system was shut down and essentially replaced and rebuilt.

The book was wonderful; full of interesting stories. I'm glad I read it and I can't wait to step on to one. Considering what I now know about them, a ride will be very special to me.

No comments: